Saturday, February 28, 2009

Goodbye February, Hello Spring!


How much longer will we have to wear these crazy coats?!

Jeremy and I are happy to see February go tomorrow, because we are now officially done with the two coldest months of the year! It obviously doesn't mean that we are going to have significantly warmer weather...but we are hopeful! Some days I don't have to wear my gloves, and for living on the East Coast, that is a true indicator that things are "heating up".

Other than the weather, we are all doing well. Jeremy is heading into his spring break, which means he is half way done with his second semester. I think it is safe to say that this term has been a lot easier than the first one. In addition to classes and projects, he has picked up an internship at a local technology company and has been gaining experience in business development. Recently, Jeremy purchased a used road bike and is hoping to be able to fit some cycling into his busy schedule. He is spending some time detailing it and has also taken on my old commuter bike as a project and is slowly re-building it into a coffee shop/"townie" bike. We will be sure to post before and after's once it is all finished.

I recently began volunteering at a local nonprofit agency as an English teacher for an ESOL adult refugee night class. I just started last week, so I don't have much to report except that I am really excited about this opportunity! The students all work, which is why it is a night class, and all though I don't know their full stories, it is safe to say that as refugees they have seen and experienced things that I can't even imagine. I am truly in awe at the strength of character and heart that must be necessary in order to rebuild one's life from scratch, especially after suffering through tragedy. Hopefully I will be able to teach them, and learn some new things myself.

And last, but not least - Olive! She is doing well. She has recently found a new sleeping/hiding space that wasn't intended for her, but appears meant to be. On our clothes rack, we have attached a clothes organizer that has large compartments that you can use to put your folded clothes into. During the day Olive likes to sleep and she used to spend a lot of time under the bed, but then one day we saw her climbing out of one of the little clothes cubbyholes! She now goes in there and sleeps everyday...


We are now short one cubby!


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Awwww how cute....then you realize that she is a crazy cat that wont let you near her without leaving her mark. hehe! I hope all is well, and you are not the only ones with bad weather, it has been raining here non-stop, the other day there was thunder and lightning and the dog got so scared she started barking!